Wednesday, March 13, 2013

SHORT STORY TIME

Catching up on the blog today. Since I last posted I have written four more stories. I'll post the covers below.

The Flying Machine Blues is my modern take on the Daedalus and Icarus myth. I am currently fascinated by that story and am thinking about other ways to update and modernize it.

Old God Relocation Service started as a bigger concept and I whittled it down to its current form. Part of the reason I'm focusing on short stories now is to get some of my many (too many?) ideas down in print so I can read through and look at them then let them sit in the corner for a while then read through them again. I've learned that this process helps me distill a story down to its core components. Some of the stories (see below) I will expand on and make into larger works.

Hold Still the Sky, Part I was initially inspired by an online story competition. The competition had a shorter word length requirement and no matter what I tried I couldn't tell Kara's story in fewer words. As I wrote the story more and more ideas for characters and events set in its world kept popping into my head. This led me to. . .

Hold Still the Sky, Part II is the second story in a series of stories with interconnected characters all taking place in a near future, post-apocalyptic world. My goal is to have each story stand on its own and also fit together as a mosaic to tell a larger narrative. I don't like most post-apocalyptic material out there now and so I have challenged myself to use that setting to create something different. A different outcome, a different tone, a different take on the genre. (sub-genre? trope? You know what I mean.)

I have finished the rough draft of Part III and have it out to betareaders now. It should be up in a couple of weeks.

Here are the covers for all the stories which are, as usual, available on Amazon (www.amazon.com/author/cameronmcvey).





No comments:

Post a Comment