Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Word Count

This being my first year fully dedicated to writing and self-publishing I, as you may imagine, have learned a few things. Truth is it would be hard not to learn more than a few things while taking on a new project/career/endeavor.

One of those things (besides how to locate the "reverse P thingy" in Mac Word - it took me hours to realize it was at the top of the screen, yes, hours), was how to measure a manuscript/book/written work. In digital publishing the font sizes and spacing are changeable on the ereaders so page length becomes a  useless metric. Word count, it seems, is the basic measurement of works now. Having learned this I went on a little search to see how my books compared to others. Each book in the BHOH trilogy is just shy of 200,000 words. Perhaps the most recent and most well-known book to come out in the past few years that has a similar length is the last book in the Harry Potter series. Yes, Deathly Hallows is roughly 200,000 words long.

So, a little under 600,000 over the course of fifteen months later I am not surprised that I have taken a liking to short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment